5 steps to creating a legacy
Aryae Coppersmith role modeled how to create a legacy with dignity.
Top senior influential human resources executives in Silicon Valley gathered at Juniper Networks to honor Aryae Coppersmith, the beloved founder of HR Forums (hrforums.com ) which has been in existence for 15 years. Aryae was moving on to new challenges.
As the HR leaders honored Aryae’s contribution to the growth of our profession, I couldn’t help but reflect on how he brought extremely busy senior HR leaders and their CEOs together for conversation and leave a lasting legacy. Maybe you have already figured out your legacy, maybe you haven’t.
Here are lessons learned from my friend Aryae to get you started with your legacy:
- It was never about Aryae. Aryae represented a cause – bringing HR leaders together informally to grow, share and support each other. He was always the guiding force behind the movement but the spotlight was on the members, their guests and their contribution.
- Build Community & Trust – the group fondly remembered dinners and breakfasts where top of mind issues of CHROs and key executives were discussed in confidence. The CHRO role is a tough and lonely one to have and having an intimate group of peers who they could trust was just what they needed.
- Ask “How I can Help?” As networks were re-ignited and new ones built, people were sincerely interested in the other person’s life. Aryae was always interested in others, he sincerely listened, and remembered well. He kept in touch, even after people have moved on.
- Emotional connection – As colleagues said goodbye to each other, I know they will never really say good-bye to Aryae. There was a deep emotional connection in the air, a sign of a lasting legacy.
- The bigger purpose will bind us together. Aryae shared his inspiration for his next chapter. Based on research, he said that in 10 years or so, there will still be poverty, homelessness and lack of education in the world for about 3B people. He doesn’t want that to happen. He is doing something today so our future will be so much better. He created One World Lights, oneworldlights.com, an organization connecting people from all over the world who are doing what they can in their communities to make this world better and learn from each other. More blessings and fun on your New Act Aryae!
Whatever your life situation is, it is not too late to think about your lasting legacy. What would yours be about? Please feel free to share your thoughts.